Friday, February 25, 2011

Let's talk about food, baby... let's talk about...

How food, cooking, and eating makes us feels. 

A really good friend and I were talking about how food, cooking and eating makes us feel.  For myself, cooking is not only a way to save money and get fed, but it also brings about a sense of accomplishment.  It never really matters for me how long the meal took or how basic it is, it always makes me feel accomplished.  Spending time in the kitchen with a cutting board and a well-sharpened knife always makes me feel like I'm moving on to bigger and better things.  That sense of accomplishment comes when you see the finished product, with its beautiful flavors, textures, and aromas.  I love it when I've spent a couple of hours in the kitchen, and I come out with a beautiful pot of marinara sauce, a pair of beautiful cooked eggs over-easy, or a simple salad with the vegetables perfectly julienned. It always makes me feel so good!

Now we get to the eating part.  It's not very often (not to toot my own horn) when I make a meal and it completely sucks.  Every meal I prepare always has the flavors that my partner and I like, with textures and mouth-feels that send us overboard.  And as I've said in earlier posts, eating brings me back to a familiar place, a place with family and friends, catching up on our lives and sharing our past experiences. 

Let's remember.  For some, cooking is a chore that has to be done.  For me... it is a pleasure.

Onward and upward,

-Vince

1 comment:

  1. a pleasure indeed! cooking definitely used to be a chore but I feel so proud of myself when I've finished fixing a mean...lol even if it's just tuna salad or peanut butter and jelly. I made it with love and that's what matters :)

    ReplyDelete