Monday, June 20, 2011

I am such a SLACKER...

But I'm back!  Things were so busy with school, work, dance, attempting to work out, birthday parties and just life in general.  But like I said, I'm back and raring to go.  So what am I going to talk about today?  Let's talk about the importance of having GOOD food at family functions.

Coming from a Filipino family, food is what binds the family together.  When you enter a Filipino's house, the first thing they may do is offer you food.  May that food be merienda (a snack) or a full blown meal, it is something that you are going to remember.  But that memory is something serious, something that jogs certain remembrances, whether they be good, bad or ugly.

Having good food at functions is so important to me, not just because I am the Filipino Foodie, but because I don't want to be the family member that is talked about for having the wack dishes.  How many times have you gone to some function and there was that one dish that just makes your stomach turn inside out?  Or, how many times have you gone to that one family member's house that just has no skills in the kitchen?  I think we've been there at one time or another.


So how do you get around being the family member that can't cook?  Well... here's a hint.  Ask for help!  I don't know about you, but I'm sure you know at least ONE person that can cook.  In my family, there are SOOOOO many people that can throw down, that every family function is a collage of different cuisines, different flavors, and different textures.  It's amazing how all of these foods go together!  You can have everything from Pancit (a Filipino noodle dish), collard greens, and burgers and dogs... ALL IN ONE SITTING.







I write this to say, if you don't know your way around the kitchen, just ask someone for help... that's all you have to do...

Onward and upwards...

-Vince

1 comment:

  1. #1, I need to know what all of those things are!!! Yum! #2, I'd say ask or just start experimenting. I learned how to cook out of necessity. My mother couldn't boil water. I got tired of making chili and smothered chicken for every meal and started watching the food network and following recipes. Soon, I was off to the races with creating recipes and cooking purely by taste.

    ReplyDelete