Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Differences in "same" foods...

I was talking to my mother a few days ago and we got to discussing the differences in adobo (Filipino Stewed Chicken... recipe to come in another post) dependent on what region of the Philippines you are from.  Some people go very basic, incorporating the simple flavors of soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and peppercorns, while some folk add onions and coconut milk.  But why is everyone's adobo so different?  I mean, really, does it just depend on where you live or what you grew up with?

This is my theory.  As someone who cooks on a regular basis, how one makes certain dishes is a matter of taste.  Growing up, my mother NEVER put bay leaves and onions in her adobo, while I put both!  There is something to be said for that hint of bay in the background.  I've also come in to contact with folk who like their adobo really dry, while people like me don't think its adobo without the salty and sour sauce that goes on top of the rice.

What about the controversy of using Velveeta in Mac and Cheese?  Do you use Velveeta?  How much do you use?  When I first started making Mac and Cheese, I never thought it was ok to add Velveeta to the cheese sauce.  But as I started to perfect my recipe, I started using Velveeta.  It adds a great texture.  Yeah... make fun of me if you want... I know I'm the Filipino Foodie and all... but DUDE!  VELVEETA HAS ITS PLACE!  lol...

I write this blog to say... just because your Mom made things a certain way... or that the "family recipe" says to use real parmeasan cheese versus the green bottle stuff... do what works best for you.  That's the beauty of cooking; not everyone has to do things the exact same way.  Experiment... make mistakes... and just have a good time in the kitchen.

Onward and upward,

-Vince

1 comment:

  1. This is probably one of the most popular kitchen sink about and is accessible in all prices ranges. Even so, you don’t expect to buy the best quality sink for a cheap price. Usually a cheap stainless steel sink is created of thin metal which flexes and vibrates

    ReplyDelete