Sunday, July 31, 2011

Chicken Adobo...


Adobo is the quintessential Filipino dish.  If you know anything about Filipino food, there are two dishes that come to mind, (1) adobo and (2) lumpia.  So, for this week’s Sunday dinner and this week’s “leftover” meal, adobo it is.

So what is adobo?  Adobo is meat or seafood that has been stewed in a mixture of soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and bay leaves.  Adobo can be made out of anything under the sun; fish, pork, beef, or chicken.  It can be on the drier side, it can be more saucy.  It just all depends on what you’ve grown up with.  My version is saucy and made with chicken thighs.

So how is it made?  Here we go…

1 package of chicken parts (I used thighs)
1 large onion, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp. pepper
equal parts soy sauce, vinegar, and water
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp. of vegetable oil

Black Pepper and Bay Leaves

Shallots, Garlic, and Onions

Vinegar and Soy Sauce

Chicken Thighs


Let’s talk about why I’ve put shallots in the adobo.  Shallots are not classically used in adobo, and neither are onions for that matter, but I feel like adobo is one of those versatile dishes that you can add or subtract certain flavors as long as your base is the same (the soy sauce, vinegar, and water).

In your largest pot, sauté your onions and shallots until they are translucent.

Shallots and Onions Sauteeing

 Then arrange your chicken parts in the bottom of the pan, skin side down, and attempt to get a decent browning on the skin.  Add in your pepper.

Then add all of your liquids and make sure that all of your chicken parts are in the liquid.  Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.  Add your garlic and bay leaves… then simmer for another 45 minutes.

Simmering Adobo


Once all of your chicken is cooked, meal is ready!  Just cook up a pot of rice, defrost your favorite vegetables and you have dinner made!  And I have yet to meet anyone that doesn’t like adobo chicken.  Try this one out on your family… It’s even better the next day!
Adobo done!!!
Adobo, Rice and Veggies

Let's DIG IN!!!!


Onwards and upwards,

-Vince

P.S.  YOU FINALLY GOT A FILIPINO DISH!!!! BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

4 comments:

  1. A slight variation on my own adobo. Can't wait to try it! (I brown the chicken first, then put water, then put the vinegar and soy sauce, rather than put it all at once. I also use wings and drummettes, so interested to try thighs).

    Seeing this, I now want adobo. Mmmmmm. Can't figure out how to do pork adobo. My pork always comes out too dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Sharon, as I was telling someone on FB, everyone has their own version of adobo. A cousin of mine uses "sweet soy sauce" in hers, while I grew up with a version without onions. I've even seen people do it where they saute the meat, and then add the soy and vinegar little by little, as if they are making risotto. It's amazing how our islands do things so differently...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So maybe this is my own variation of it... I started making this...cut the onion, browned the chicken, only to find out that I didn't have apple cider vinegar or bay leaves, but red wine vinegar and basil. Lol! It still tastes decent, but perhaps I strayed too far from its origination for it to be called chicken adobo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly... You are supposed to use a specific kind of vinegar that I've only been able to find in the Asian Mart. It's called Datu puti... the Asian version of plain white vinegar. But I don't always have that on hand. That said, it doesn't necessarily have to be Apple Cider Vinegar... it can be white vinegar. Next time, I am going to have to try red wine vinegar. I'm thinking that flavor will not be as bold...

    ReplyDelete