Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mexican Food... and the one place in the DMV that reminds me of Cali...

My partner and I are constantly complaining about how we miss the Mexican food from California.  Before I moved, I was never really into Mexican food (believe it or not), but now I appreciate the complexity of flavors that it provides, the softness and texture of a warm flour tortilla, as well as the combination of masa and cheese.  GOD I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD.

So anyways, when we moved back to the DMV, we were so afraid that we were going to be reduced to having burritos at Chipotle and trying to pretend that they were burritos from the taco truck at 50th and E. 14th (or for you newbies, International Blvd).  But low and behold, in Bowie, MD, there is a Mexican spot that rivals most California Mexican taquerias and small mom and pop operations.  You have to check out Mi Hacienda.

What Google has to say about Mi Hacienda

From the moment my partner and I walked in, we just knew this was going to be our new favorite spot... and boy were we right.  From the selection of Mexican beers, to great TOP SHELF Tequila (Not just Patron, but DON JULIO), and to the great selection of food they have, this spot will have your heart.  From the create your own platter (2 or 3 choices from a set menu: tamales, burritos, chile rellenos) to their own creations (arroz con mariscos - rice and seafood) to enchiladas verdes o rojos (green or red) it is ALL SO MOUTH WATERING.

But here's the kicker.  How many of you have been to San Diego?  And how many of you have had carne asada (Marinated Beef) fries?  This is why I love Mi Hacienda.  THEY WILL DO CARNE ASADA FRIES FOR YOU!  At the bar of course.

What are carne asada fries?  Imagine a nacho plate... with all the fixings... marinated beef, salsa fresca, jalapeno peppers, guacamole and sour cream... ON A BED OF FRENCH FRIES.  Fattening... I know... but DAMN IS IT GOOD!

So if you find yourself on the Maryland side of the DMV, check out Mi Hacienda.  You will not be sorry!

Onward and Upward...

-Vince

3 comments:

  1. I am still venturing out to Hyattsville and Adelphi hunting for the "Trucks"...Nothing like it! :-) I stand out there and eat about 5 tacos. I will NEVER go back to Taco Bell. EVER! I am even offened they call themselves even a Mexican inspired fast food joint and I am glad they are being sued! The nerve of them! But dont you DARE talk about Chipotle isnt the awesomess! lol...I will try this Mi Hacienda the next time Im out and about in Bowie! Viva La Mexican Food that is good in America :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eboni... I have to say... Chipotle has a special place in my heart... but that's when I'm feeling pretty desperate. And Taco Hell has it's place... especially when you need that late night drunk stuff... AND YES! I NEED TO CHECK OUT HYATTSVILLE AND ADELPHI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok soooo how about they just gave us steak and cheese on the fries...none of that other goodness. It was all good tho...they have BOMB frozen margaritas...I would like to say almost as bomb as Alero's margaritas.

    ReplyDelete