Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sausage and Peppers

I came up with this one when my partner was telling me about how his father used to make a dish similar to this.  E's father made sausage and peppers to be put into a hoagie roll and eaten as a sandwich with melted provolone cheese.  Although this sounds good, I sometimes have issues eating with my hands.  (Yes, I know I'm Filipino, and Filipino's know how to eat with their hands, and I do as well, but I don't really like too!!!)  So I thought to myself... how about sausage and peppers to be made as a pasta sauce, to be served over your favorite pasta?  Yum, right?  And trust me, this same recipe can be used in a hoagie roll... don't be limited by my recipe on how you should serve this, you serve this how you think will work for you and your family!

Ingredients:

1 Package of your favorite sausage (I used Trader Joes' Basil Chicken Sausage) cut into bite-sized pieces
1 Large Can of Tomatoes (I used whole ones and just used my stick blender to blend them up)
1 Small can of diced tomatoes
1 half of a large onion, sliced
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 cup of frozen peppers (I used Trader Joe's Melange a Trois)
1 cup of frozen spinach
1 cup of red wine (your favorite wine will do)
1 tbsp of garlic powder
1 tbsp of dehydrated onion
1 tbsp of dried parsley
1 tbsp of dried basi
1 tbsp of dried parsley
1 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

The seasonings

The Food Ingredients

The wine... it just so happened to already be open... something we had been sipping on throughout the week.

So let's talk about how simple this is.

Brown off your sausages with the tablespoon of olive oil.  Add your onions and garlic and allow to sweat.

Add in the canned tomatoes, frozen vegetables and the wine.  Allow this combination to simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.

After simmering, add all of your dry seasonings.  Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.

At this point, you are ready to serve!  Serve over pasta or serve the sausages in toasted hoagie rolls.  Either way, it will be divine.  See how easy cooking can be?
The Finished Product
Hope you guys enjoy this one...

Onward and upward...

-Vince

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vince,
    finally got to this blog...jeezz..as far as the peppers and onions, we did prepare this dish quite often when J was growing up. We used green peppers, onions and scrambled eggs on a bun. Italian sausages worked best for us. Keep up the good and delicious food sharing...love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom! Thanks so much! I'm really trying to share the knowledge with the world. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete